twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Friday, August 10, 2012

ROMANIA {CARPATHIAN MOUNTAINS}

The most unique and memorable part of my visit to Romania was my adventure to a small village in the Carpathian mountains where my friend's grandparents lived. This village was like none I had ever been to. It was like stepping back in time to Little House on the Prarie. The homes were made of dirt and hay, they lived off of what they could grown on their small bits of property, and there were no modern comforts. The grandparents had a well for water and this water was the most delicious water I had ever tasted. There was no plumbing, almost no electricity, and they used animals and wagons instead of cars. A very simple life. They managed to live off of $10 a month.

Carpathian Mountains, Romania
Here is a Romanian car being driven by a cute little old lady. You can see how weathered her skin has become from years of working in the sun. The roads were all dirt. Few people had jobs. It was one of the poorest places I have ever been, yet they were some of the happiest people. There is a lot to be said for being thankful for what you have as well as not knowing what you are missing.

Carpathian Mountains, Romania
We took a long walk one of the afternoons up to a lookout. One thing that I love when I am traveling are puffy clouds. I get really excited and literally jump up and down giggling puffy clouds! puffy clouds! Because they make the photos so much more interesting. Wouldn't you agree?

Carpathian Mountains, Romania
During our walk these three ducks kept following behind me right in a row like this. Aren't they cute! I think they wanted their picture taken but they were probably just hoping I had some food for them. Everywhere we went there was so much to photograph. I got more photos in one day in this village then I did in the rest of the two weeks of my trip.

Carpathian Mountains, Romania
Back at the house I played with their chickens. They were very cute. They had lots of them and they were all different colors, shapes, sizes, and breeds. I asked what this little fella's name was and they laughed and me saying, "we don't name our food!" Oh! and that's why if I had to kill my own meat I'd instantly become a vegetarian. No way! Could not handle that. While I was there I learned how to call a chicken. You say... Poi Poi Poi.

Carpathian Mountains, Romania
This is my friend's grandfather taking a rest after picking fruits and vegetables for dinner. He is so gosh darn cute, I couldn't stand it. I think he was a little puzzled as to why I kept wanting to take pictures of him, his chicken food, his living room, his well, his outhouse, ha ha! Later this day he opened up a sack and handed me some hazelnuts. Apparently hazelnuts grow on the side of the Carpathian mountains and he had hiked up and gathered some. So we sat down and crushed them with a rock and ate them. They were delicious. Funny thing is that I usually have an issue with getting dirty and eating with my hands but for some reason when I travel I luckily am somehow able to put all that aside.

Carpathian Mountains, Romania
So we of course had to take some family photos since I was here. Here is everyone. My friend and her son, then her niece, her mom, her uncle and aunt, with grandpa and grandma in the front. The are posing in the... well outdoor living room you could say. Sort of a court yard for all the rooms of the house. I love how the background really places them at the village, in the home. This photo couldn't have come from anywhere else. These were all such great people and they were so welcoming to me. I could never thank them enough.

Carpathian Mountains, Romania
And while I was taking family photos I was making quite a ruckus in the neighborhood. I was trying so hard to get grandma and grandpa to smile who didn't speak a lick of English so I was jumping up and down on a chair yelling and making funny faces yell POI POI POI (calling the chickens) since that was all the Romanian I knew. So the ladies who lived next door had to come peak over the fence and see what I was up to. They were so cute I had to take their photo too.

Carpathian Mountains, Romania
As we were leaving the village we passed by this lookout. Here is where some of the locals go to fish. The sun had just set, the extreme heat had finally settled down and here was this beautiful view. So peaceful. Till next time Romania.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About