twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

ARIZONA AND THE {GRAND CANYON}


In my last few posts we visited Alaska where the weather is dangerous and very cold. Now we are going to head way done south back to the lower 48 to Arizona and make a stop at the Grand Canyon and neighboring desert. There is this thing about the Grand Canyon. No matter how many photographs you see of it, nothing will prepare you for the site you will see with your own eyes. It is spectacular, mind blowing, stomach dropping, and best of all it is insanely photogenic. Sounds like a terrible place, I know. It was one of those places where at first I never really cared if and when I ever got to see it but now, I can't wait to go back and see more of it.
Kristen Herber Photography
 This is one of my favorite photographs that I took of the Grand Canyon. I have a 16x24 inch canvas of it displayed in my office that I look over at every day and day dream about sitting up on that ledge looking over at the most amazing drop I've ever seen.

Kristen Herber Photography
Here you can see the sun shinning out over the horizon. A little slice of heaven. There are pathways that lead down to the bottom of the Canyon. You can either hike or take a mule and there is much to explore once you reach the bottom. I didn't have time to do this. It takes an entire day to get to the bottom and then to come back up. Next time I go, it is on my list of things to do. There are also some amazing water falls around the Canyon that I would really love to check out some day.

Kristen Herber Photography
 As I was walking around taking photos, this little feller came across my path and asked me to take a portrait of him. So I did! I was almost within petting distance. Now that isn't something that happens very often in Minnesota.

During this adventure I also had the opportunity to visit some parts of the Arizona desert. We took an amazing motorcycle ride for a day. It was my first time ever on a motorcycle. At first it scared me something crazy, then after a while I couldn't get enough of it!
Kristen Herber Photography
The one thing I just had to photograph while in Arizona was a cactus. So we drove out to the desert and me in my flip flops walked out into the deadly desert where all the scorpions and snakes live so I could get my darn photo. Seriously, I'll do ANYTHING for a picture. I was later informed that if the police would have caught me I could have been issued an idiot ticket. Ha ha! Yeah I would have deserved it. But luckily  nI as OK!

And last but not least, this is one of my all time favorite photographs I have ever taken. I made us stop at this church out in the middle of the desert as the sun was setting. It's amazing the photography opportunities you will find when you simply just get in the car and drive with no destination in mind.

~Kristen~

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About