twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Monday, July 30, 2012

OAHU {HAWAII}

Continuing on through the islands of Hawaii, we hopped over to Oahu for a few days. Oahu is much more commercialized than Kaua'i was but it was still very beautiful. Our first stop, which everyone must make when they visit this island, was Pearl Harbor. Everyone learns about this tragedy in school but for me at least, I don't think the reality of it really sank in until I went there for myself. As I was standing on the memorial looking down at the ruins of USS Arizona, I was filled with so much emotion and couldn't hold back the tears. I think this in one place that every American especially should make a trip to visit during their life time.

Kristen Herber Photography
As you look out over the waters while standing at the memorial, the USS Missouri remains parked, which is where the treaty was signed that ended WWII. Above is a photo of this incredible ship. Not many people know this but I have an enormous fear of large ships so for me to handle going to this memorial and being so close to this large vessel without melting down was quiet a feat.

Kristen Herber Photography
On a sweeter note, we then ventured out to the Dole plantation to learn how pineapples grow.  Wow, I was in for a shocker! I didn't know they grew like this. They are so CUTE! They grow on a tiny little bush close to the ground and it takes three years for a pineapple to finish growing. That explains why they cost so much. Pineapple is one of my favorite fruits. Looking at this photo is making my mouth water. Oh I should mention... finally the sun decided to join us, only two weeks into our adventure. Hooray!

Kristen Herber Photography
Later that week the winds started to pick up which brought in some incredible waves. We had a lot of of fun sitting on the shore watching the surfers ride the waves. I also am not a huge fan of going in the ocean or of water in general- perhaps I am part cat. So I sad from the sidelines and took my photos.

Kristen Herber Photography
My littlest brother though thought he was tough enough to beat the waves. See that tall white thing behind him? That is the wave that came crashing down and ate him right up into the ocean just seconds after I took this photograph. My dad had to jump in and get him. He gave the entire family a heart attack, no lie! and was picking sand out of every inch of himself the rest of the week.


Kristen Herber Photography
This guy however, knew what he was doing. I had a lot of fun photographing him. I submitted this image to Jones Soda and for a brief time it was published on their bottles. The look on his face as he is doing this flip is so awesome. Well there weren't as many crazy adventures on Oahu but we still had fun, got some sun, and ate great food. However, if I ever go back to Hawaii I will make sure that Kaua'i is on my list of stops. That island is unbelievably breathtaking and not so touristy! Highly recommend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About