twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

TUNUNAK, AK {ESKIMO VILLAGE}


Part 3:
As I mentioned in an earlier posting on Tununak, the village is located in the tundras on the Bering Sea. It is surrounded by coastline, mountains, icebergs, and desolate land. It is an amazing site! During my adventure we took the snow machines up the mountains right outside the village and chased Musk Ox. Musk Ox look like hairy buffalo. They eat grass and berries that they dig up under the snow and ice. They travel in herds and can be very hard to find because they move so fast and are camouflaged in the mountains. Apparently they are dangerous. Apparently I'm not good at listening when I am told this. Being as stubborn as I am and wanting to do anything to "get the photo" I got off the snow machine (because no one would come with me) and walked close to them to take photos. I had not brought a telephoto lens with me. I was pretty happy with the results. The Musk Ox, however, they were pretty irritated with me! :-) 

On the top of the mountain there are large rocks stacked on top of each other. They look like rock sculptures. These are called "Rock People." The villagers built the rock people to keep the Musk Ox from coming down the mountain and into the village. To the Musk Ox, the rocks look like large people so they get scared and stay away.

They also have a very large wooden cross up on top of the mountain that looks over the village. It is a few stories tall. They have many stories about the tundras and bad sprites that the children told to me while I visited the school. It is believed that little gnomes live in the tundras and if  you wander out to far alone they will take you. It is also believed that this mountain was haunted and a bad spirit lived on it so the cross is there to protect the village and keep all the bad spirits away. It looks beautiful and peaceful looking down over the village.

In the distance you can see the village and to the right is the coast line. The high school is called the Tununak Coasters with the pointed coast line as their mascot. Tununak is also known for their fishing cannery. For a few months a year when the ice has melted away they gather fish that is transported to the lower 48 states to be sold. This is one of the few jobs available in the village. When I was there, all I was able to see was the fishing houses and hanging racks. They still were a beautiful site against the sea.

Well that's all I believe I have time for on Tununak, Alaska. Next up I will tell you a little bit about my day in Bethel, Alaska for their cultural festival. If you would like to contact me further regarding my travels or my photography I'd love to hear from you! Kristen@Herber.com or look me up at Facebook.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About